Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Black King <-> White Knight

Ok, a very serious post. Something has been bugging me lately.

Back in December I had a really hot date. She was drop-dead gorgeous and dressed to kill. We had a really great time, I will spare you all the details, but she had a little too much to drink and when I brought her to her house I found that she was locked out.

So I did what every red blooded American male would do...

I made sure she managed to get inside and safely to sleep.

I am the Black King in this chess game that is life, but in my heart I am still the white knight, I would find it very hard to live with myself if I took advantage of a woman like that. I did what I know was the right thing to do.

Yet upon confiding in some friends and telling them this story they called me an idiot and said that she must have planned all this. What I find interesting is that the friends who said this were females themselves.

Is it really so commonplace now that women expect and even insist on being taken advantage of and, essentially, raped? Is my respect for a woman really that out of this world? I could chose to believe that they were just mocking me and poking fun, but even in jest they are revealing a social norm and expectation, a man is expected to take advantage of a woman in a precarious position.

Well, I don't regret my decision that night. If I am weird in showing respect for the fairer gender, call me crazy. But inside of me beats the heart of a White Knight.

Frankly, I am bothered that society finds my actions unusual and would condone such unbecoming behaviour.

No comments:

Post a Comment