Thursday, March 31, 2011

The White Queen

I worked for a short time at the airport. One of my favorite people to work with was this cute, short, bubbly little thing. She was always full of energy, lots of fun to work with, kept me laughing most nights.

She was also sneaky and liked to see what she could get away with. Not in a bad way mind you, it was always fun. I played along with mostly everything, there was no reason not to, and it kept things interesting.

She was though, strictly speaking, a competitor.

So I started to refer to her as the White Queen. Again, just fun, but it made the whole Chess is Life thing that much more interesting.

I ran into the White Queen this past Monday at a local bar that I enjoy visitig. The bar is like a high school reunion every week I go and I enjoy the company. The Royal Key Bar is an awesome place.

I was hanging out with the incredible band Day Minus Seven. There were about 8 of us or so ("all things are eight" -Pythagorian Maxim). Which leads me to believe that the White Queen had entered Black territory.

I mean, knowing as many people as I knew at the Royal Key I am cerain it was Black Territory. The White Queen was in a dangerous position. I have to wonder if she was there with anyone other than her hubby. A player on her side may have been transfigured that night. Either way, I had a marvelous time, and I am pretty sure I was changed a bit. I know a couple black pawns cerainly entered the game that night. I can always use the reinforcements, after all, "Pawns are the heart of chess."

No comments:

Post a Comment