Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Chess is Life

This quote comes from Bobby Fischer. "Chess is life."

I've been rereading The Eight by Katherine Neville and it is a wonderful, deep book. It keeps me thinking with every page. But tonight I am thinking about chess and my life.

If my life were a chess match, who would occupy this board with me? And what piece would they represent?

Some of the pieces have already been removed from the board, some of the pieces have no one to represent them, and some of the pawns are just waiting to enter enemy territory and be transfigured. But here are some of the pieces. For the sake of the book, I am playing black.

Black King: Only way this allusion works is for that to be me. It fits with my pen name, Xiao Wang, the Diminutive King.

Black Queen: Has been removed from the board. Perhaps a pawn will clear the board. "Be ye transfigured!"

Kingside Bishop: This is Vlad. No doubt on that one, but Vlad will be surprised.

Kingside Knight: This is John. Somehow I think he will be pleased with this distinction.

Kingside Rook: Alex, this can only be you.

Queenside Bishop: I think this is my sister, Elisa.

Queenside Knight: This is Breckany, this was always Breckany, and I was silly not to see it sooner.

Queenside Rook: This must be Katie. She and my sister Elisa may be switched in the wrong positions.

Pawns: I won't name you, some of you know who you are. "Pawns are the heart of chess." It's not a dismissive statement to name you a pawn, I can't make it without you.

1 comment: