Monday, April 11, 2011

Life should be fun

My Model UN students know that my number one rule for MUN is that "MUN should be fun." In reality, my number one rule in life is pretty much that life should be fun.

Chess is life, and chess, after all, is a game. It is a game that makes us think, makes us plan and plot, makes us sweat and bleed, makes us agonize and makes us fight. Yet it is a game, and a fun pastime.

Moving pieces, out-thinking your opponent, feeling your enemy, sensing victory... these are thrilling activities.

Playing chess is fun. Living life should be equally fun. In life we sweat and toil but there are always ways to make it enjoyable, even if only in the mind. Frequently when confronted with difficult situations I try to relate them to other things (like chess) and find some silly connection or enjoyable diversion.

That's probably why I am such a story teller, I like to share my silly experiences and get a laugh. Even when things are slow and quiet I can burst into a story. And it is from these moments of crazy story telling that my original maxim "MUN should be fun" was born.

Chess is life, Chess is fun, Life should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment