Saturday, April 16, 2011

A new pawn? Maybe

So today was my mother's wedding. It was lovely, and I am a sucker for romance in the best of circumstances. The best moment of it all for me though was that I got to dance with my daughter at the reception. She and I shared the first dance together.

She was wearing a spring dress, with multi-colored polka dots. She is such a charming, pretty, and smart girl. I might be a little biased =)

Well before the wedding I was talking to my mother and asked (I was really joking at the time) if I could bring a date. My mom quickly and forcefully said no. Even though I was jesting, I was surprised at her swift reaction.

I later learned that it was because my ex was going to be there.

I asked my mother if there was going to be anyone there around my age that I could potentially, you know, dance with. My mother advised me that the only non-attached girl around my age would be my new aunt. I saw nothing wrong with the idea of dancing with my step-aunt. My mother seemed exasperated that I would consider such a thing.

So the wedding came and I was surprised to see a very pretty, young woman there. My mother never even considered the photographer... And I can't really blame my mother, she has known the photographer since the girl was four years old. I guess the fact that she is now eighteen never crossed my mothers mind.

It crossed my mind,

Initially I said, in front of the girl even, that she was too young for me. Then I considered that I was meeting her at a wedding of two people that have a 14-15 year age difference. Suddenly our age difference didn't seem so large.

I made efforts to converse with her and discovered that she is into the arts, going to school, and planning on pursuing a career in the arts. She was really sweet and agreed to "save a dance for me."

Unfortunately at the reception there were a grand total of three dance songs and she was taking pictures. When she discovered there were no more dance songs she apologized for missing our dance. =(

Before leaving she came to me and said her goodbyes, I gave her my card. We shall see if anything comes of it. I think there may be a new pawn here. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment