Saturday, April 2, 2011

Zugzwang

There just comes a time where either way you are screwed. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Zugzwang occurs when a player has no move that will not worsen his or her position. The player must make a move, but every possible move places the player in danger. It's a matter of determining the lesser of the bad options, taking it, and working towards strengthening your position in the future.

I recently had to pay some bills that were the ex's. My name was on em, even though they were her debts. I am not in a position where I can afford to be so generous even if I really wanted to, but my options were essentially pay the bills or destroy my credit.

Zugzwang. No matter what option I took it was going to hurt. I paid the bils. This is not the first time and it probably won't be the last.

Tonigt I went out to volunteer with some of the students I work with. In order to do this I had to miss a major rock show with a beautiful young woman. My zugwang options were to either miss the concert or fail the students. I chose to do my volunteer work with the students and guess what?

I had a great time. I was reminded tonight why I do this volunteer work. I had been growing disheartened about it all but I am thrilled to have been able to work with amazing students and to hang out with them afterwards. And the woman? I will see her at another show tomorrow. She was one of the new pawns the other night, perhaps she can make the center board tomorrow night?

Sometimes it looks like zugzwang, but there are those few times that doing the right thing makes everything work out in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment