Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The rooks

The rooks sit at the four corners of the chessboard like silent sentinels. Their piece is represented as a stone tower, further giving the impression of steadfast, resolute strength.

Way back in the early Indian version of Chess the rook was actually representative of chariots. Moving in long straight lines to wreck havoc upon the enemy ranks.

In my life the kingside rook was easy to identify, this is my best friend Alex.

He has always been a pillar of strength, and the one person in this world that fully understood me and my crazier mannerisms. He is down to earth, compassionate, intelligent and understanding. This is not a side of him reserved for those that know him well, this is the face he shows everyone. It is simply who he is.

The rook on my queenside is Katie. Alex is my best friend, and Katie is number two. She has always been someone that I could meet on an intellectual level. I would drive 2 and a half hours just to be able to sit and chat with her over coffee. I adore her on so many levels.

These two are the pillars that hold up either side of my board. They are strong towers as well as powerful chariots. I trust them and love them, my life would be dramatically different if not for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment